» Hardware «
At the moment my recording equipment consists of:
- Apple MacBook Pro (unibody model, 2.53 GHz and 4 GB RAM),
- Apple PowerBook 12",
- Canon HV30 — it’s not perfect but can’t afford anything better now,
M-Audio Audio Buddy microphone preamplifier,
- Soundcraft Compact 4 mixer, replaced AudioBuddy and does amazing job,
- two MXL 603s microphones,
- two Proel microphone cables (10 meters),
- Stanton DJ Pro 68B headphones.
» Software «
There’s no big choice when it comes to free or cheap useful programs.
- Audacity — amazing audio recording & editing Open Source application,
- Audio Hijack Pro — great for tuning,
- Apple’s Final Cut Express — for everything video related.
» The stuff I used before «
I’ve been recording concerts for few years, before I got the above equipment I used Sony minidiscs (various models) and great Sony microphone ECM-DS70P.